Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Italian Chicken Noodle Soup


The cold and flu has hit my house hard. I am still healthy, but my hubby not so much, and my daughter is sick too, which means she comes to stay with me so I can nurture her back to health and make her my famous Chicken Noodle Soup. 

I have been told many times that I make the best chicken noodle soup. I sometimes even tell myself when I am sick and forced to eat soup from a restaurant. I always wish someone would make me my soup instead, but I have not taught anyone how I do it. Even though it is not hard to do, when I am sick, I am usually too sick to try to show someone. So I am finally writing down my simple recipe that is sure to comfort the sick. Enjoy!

Italian Chicken Noodle Soup
1 lb. Italian chicken sausage
2 Tbsp Olive oil
8 cups chicken broth
1 onion
3 carrots
2 celery stalks
1/2 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
Cooked Ditalini pasta, or pasta of your choice.
salt and pepper to taste

I first start out by making a mirepoix. It is a combination of onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. The base to any really good soup. Chop them up into similar size pieces, except the garlic should be minced. Add olive oil to a skillet and add the mirepoix. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 


Cook stirring often until onions are translucent. 
Meanwhile cook your pasta according to package directions. 
I like using ditalini, but you can use whatever noodles you like. 
Drain. 

In a large stockpot, add your chicken broth, cooked vegetables, Italian seasoning, and a bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer. 
Meanwhile brown your chicken sausage.
Remove the bay leaf from the stock. 
Add your sausage and noodles to the stock, and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...