Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Mediterranean Quinoa Wraps



I am often taken back by how many couples just constantly put each other down. I used to have a lot of friends that seemed to hate their spouse. I finally came to the conclusion that this is toxic to be around and I eliminated the negativity from my life. We all need to be reassured. Just because your man is a man doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings. He is just as insecure as you are. I decided to start letting my husband know at least once a day how proud I am of him. I let him know I like him as much as I love him. I have found that when I say affirmations to him, he becomes more positive and in turn, it boosts his self esteem. Which is very attractive to me. 
Romantic Tip: “I like you. I love you. I’m proud of you.” Say and mean these three phrases often—affirmation through clear communication is the key to healthy relationships.

Now on to today's food...As I mentioned before, I am trying to make some meatless meals for my husband. I think if once a week I can make him something yummy that is healthy, he won't notice it is meatless. 
I was right with this one. It is a new favorite in this house. The crispy Quinoa patties go so nicely with the Greek yogurt and veggies. I used a very healthy 100 calorie flaxseed flatbread. 

Mediterranean Quinoa Wraps

1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 medium carrot, finely grated
3 eggs
3 tablespoons gluten free all purpose flour
2 green onions, sliced thin on the bias
1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar or stevia
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Olive oil for frying
Sliced Cucumber
Sliced Tomato
Sliced Red Pepper
Yogurt Sauce: 
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
green onions

Start out by making the yogurt sauce.
in a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, and the green onions; season with salt and pepper. 


Next move on to the quinoa patties. In a large pot bring the 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese, carrot, eggs, gluten free flour, green onions, Splenda, pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder. Mix well and then let chill in the fridge for 1 hour to let it set.
Heat a frying pan or griddle and a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Mixture will be slightly sticky, so using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop mixture into pan and lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick.
I made my long and oval shaped to fit in a wrap.
Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side.

You can store them in between parchment paper in an airtight container until you are ready to serve.
I used some flaxseed flatbread that they sell at our local organic market. You can use any tortilla. If you are gluten-free, use a rice tortilla. 
Start out with a flatbread and add cucumber, red pepper, and tomato. I added a chive too for extra flavor.
Add quinoa patties. 
Top with yogurt sauce.
Wrap to close and serve!
Follow Us

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print This Post

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...